Whatever is going on in your mouth can be an indicator of your overall health and well-being. Your mouth can indicates whether you have nutritional deficiencies, a general infection, and maybe letting you know your body is fighting a disease.
Health condition clues you can see in your mouth:
• Diabetes this condition lowers your body’s ability to fight infection which creates gum disease.
• Cardiovascular disease heart disease and stroke are linked to inflammation and infections from oral bacteria.
• AIDS/HIV which causes painful mouth lesions and sores.
• Osteoporosis makes your bones weak and easy to break and can be linked to periodontal bone and tooth loss.
• Alzheimer’s losing your teeth before you turn 35 can be a pre-indicator of Alzheimer’s.
• Endocarditis an infection in the heart lining coming from bacteria and germs (like the ones in your mouth) flowing through your bloodstream and sticking to areas of your heart.
• Pregnancy/birth low birth rate and premature birth can be a result of periodontitis.
There are bacteria in your mouth that can be controlled with proper tooth brushing and flossing. If you neglect this daily oral care, the bacteria can reach unhealthy levels leading to tooth decay and gum disease which are infections in your mouth. Periodontitis–the advanced stages of gum disease–can play a role in disease because your body’s immune system has been compromised.
If you have dry mouth caused by tobacco use, medications, even over-the-counter drugs like nasal decongestants or antihistamines, you are prone to increased bacteria as well as saliva has enzymes that helps destroy and wash away bacteria.
At Dr. Jody’s dental office, we work with you to help ensure your oral health, and overall better health is one of the benefits! Please let us know if you have any concerns about your oral health, or if you would like to schedule a dental checkup. We can be reached at 435.723.6120 for your convenience.